Genealogy websites and links
Genealogy resources center
The McGregor Family
by Peter Charles Andrews
In April 1603,by an Act of Proscription,the Privy Council abolished the name McGregor.To the Clan McGregor the name meant a great deal,and it was obvious to the Privy Council that the name was so precious to the clan that the banning of it would be an ultimate step in the long process of exterminating them. They were ordered to take the name of any clan other than their own,and to join these clans and obey their new chief. In many cases they were told which clan to adhere to. Many of them absolutely refused to change their ancient and honourable name and continued openly to use the name Gregor or McGregor. They were vigorously persecuted and put to death for their obduracy. No one ever knew how many of these defiant clansmen and their women and children were pursued,often with Campbell?s bloodhounds,and buried like beasts in unmarked lairs along their native heath.
The much publicised massacre of Glen Coe was a very trifling incident compared with the Campbell?s massacre of the McGregors. Such McGregors as did adopt other names continued to be as adhesive as ever,but not to the clans of their forced adoption. Whatever name they used by daylight,or in public places,they always reverted to the true name when unobserved,or when about to gather for a retaliation of their foes. In short,the deprivation of their name made them more conscious of it. The McGregor clan had traditionally favoured certain christian names,and by using the traditional names of the clan or the name of the father,the Proscription was effectively negated. In 1661,Charles II for services in the cause of his family,restored the full use of the name. In 1693,William of Orange at the instigation of the Earl of Stair,a Campbell nobleman,again imposed a severe Proscription. In 1775 the Act of Proscription against Clan McGregor was finally repealed. During this period the branch of the McGregor clan used the name ?Ross?. This name came from an area near Comrie which they inhabited.