Thomas McCosker married Sarah Power o... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Singleton, NSW, Australia FHS » Thomas McCosker married Sarah Power of the Singleton district « Previous Next »

Admin (Admin)
Username: Admin

Posted on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 9:26 am:   

Good afternoon Roy,

I do hope you are still at this email address.

I am a member of the Bernard McCosker family who arrived in the Colony in 1837 aboard the "Adam Lodge".

My great grandfather was Thomas McCosker, one of Bernard's sons, who married Sarah Power of the Singleton district. Thomas moved his family to Boggabilla on the NSW/Qld border settling there in abt 1873. Their son Bertram Francis McCosker was my grandfather and his son Francis Brennan McCosker was my father.

I have completed a comprehensive historical record of the family around Boggabilla and have a little detail of the family around Singleton. Bernard at one time (1856) purchased 2000 acres of the Glendon Estate where he and his family lived for about 10 years. He and his wife Ellen are both buried in the Catholic Portion of Singleton Cemetery.

I live in Sydney and have for many years travelled through Singleton on my way home to Boggabilla. I spent some time in the Army camp at Singleton also back in my school days in the early 60's. I have never realised the wealth of information that may be available through the Singleton Family History Society.

Can you let me know what I need to do to gain access to some of the information that may be held.

My interest in the family history actually came about through a letter my elderly father received back in 1988 from a Mrs Clare Sternbeck enquiring about the McCosker family. Clare was a local Singleton resident and also a descendent of Bernard McCosker. My father who had a belief the past should be left in the past did not respond to the letter so my aunt Nora McCosker(Cosgrove) and I did. Clare corresponded with Nora for many years. Nora passed away in 2007 at the age of 97 and I also believe Clare Sternbeck may have also passed, so my Singleton contact ceased and I have no other contact at a time when I increasingly have more time to devote to the project.

I will be in Pokolbin in mid May for a wine weekend, the Lovedale Long Lunch, and have planned to put a day aside to visit Singleton for an opportunity to do a little research, visit the cemetery and also visit the Glendon area if I can fit it in.

Any guidance or advice as to how I might maximise the visit would be very much appreciated.

I am also willing to share what information I have if it is of interest. As an aside my mothers family the Allen's also arrived in 1842 ans settled in the Hunter before moving to the border districts of Mungindi and Boomi. My mother was a teacher at Kurri Kurri in the 1930's.

With best regards.

Greg McCosker

(admin has address)
Carol Mather
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 9:38 am:   

I would like to contact Greg, as my husband is the grandson of Amy Ann Monica McCosker, daughter of Thomas and Sarah McCosker, willing to share info.
William Trevor Reed
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 4:16 pm:   

My grandmother was Agnes Susan McCosker who married Frederick Thomas Walker (Sawmiller)

Regards,

Trev Reed

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: