Lahy family Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Singleton, NSW, Australia FHS » Lahy family « Previous Next »

Cienwen
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:41 am:   

Dear Roy Andrews
I am trying to find a family by the name of LAHY. I recently received some information from 'Immigration Depositors Journal Files' which stated 3 of the Lahy family from Ruthsdown in Co. Kilkenny Ireland arrived in the ship 'Fairlie' on 4-5-1863. It states that their relative in Australia was James Lahy who lived in Singleton.
Can you tell me where I would find further information about persons living in Singleton during 1863 or thereabouts.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Regards
Cienwen Hickey
Roy Andrews
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:43 am:   

Sorry about the late response.

The best thing to do is write to the Singleton Family History Society at
Singleton.

The address is:
Singleton FHS
P. 0. Box 422 Singleton
NSW 2330

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
LIBRARY:
Ground floor,74 George Street, Singleton 2330

OR

subscribe to the Hunter Valley Mailing List

How to subscribe.
Just send the command "subscribe" in the subject line to
AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley-D-request@rootsweb.com.

email roy@xroyvision.com.au

plus I will do a lookup of the LAHY family on my cdrom set,
regards,
Roy

Cienwen
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:43 am:   

Hello Roy
Thank you so much for responding to my query, I really appreciate you taking the time. The information you have sent me is just great, it gives me a good place to start.
Thanks also for offering to do a look up on you CD-ROM set, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Many thank and best wishes.
Cienwen Hickey
Roy Andrews
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:44 am:   

Hi Cienwen,
Singleton records:

Lahy and variations births in Singleton district:
"LAHAY","MARY J","1864","FRANCIS","MARY","PATRICKS PLAIN","","","",""
"LAY","CHARLES H","1885","CHARLES","ISABELLA","PATRICKS PLAIN","","","",""
"LAY","ROBERT T","1884","EDMUND J","CLEMENTINA","SINGLETON","","","",""
"LEAHY","ANN CATHERINE","1874","JAMES","ELIZABETH","PATRICKS PLAIN","","","",""

Lahy and variations marriages in Singleton district:
"LAHY","CATHERINE","1859","DONNE","JAMES","PATRICKS PLAIN","","","R",""
"LAHZ","MERVYN A","1925","SMITH","MERLE","SINGLETON","","","",""
"LEAHY","JAMES","1873","MAHER","ELIZABETH","PATRICKS PLAIN","","","",""
"LEAHY","JOHANNA","1866","RYAN","PATRICK","PATRICKS PLAIN","","","",""
"LEAHY","JOHN C","1935","PYE","HILDA C","SINGLETON","","","",""
"LEAHY","MARY","1843","TUDOR","HENRY","","PRESBYTERIAN","WHITTINGHAM","","V1843662 123"
"LEY","OLIVIA L","1849","FLAHERTY","JOHN","","PRESBYTERIAN","DENBIE; HUNTER DISTRICT; MAITLAND; MORPETH; PATERSON; SINGLETON","","V18491 79"

No deaths

PS; I could do a whole NSW lookup but it may take a while
Juli Kennedy
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   

Hi Roy,
I am looking for the same James Lahey as Cienwen.He sponsored 3 of his siblings to NSW from Ireland and they arrived in April 1863.At that time James was living at Singelton.A James Leahy married Jane Wellard 1863 in Armidale.In 1871,1872,and 1874 three unnamed Lahey children died in Armidale area with parents listed as James Lahey and Eliza Jane Leahy.James was a Port Macquarie convict at some stage,I believe, but I can find no convict record for him.Does anyone know anything about this man who was living at Singleton 1863.I think he may have had a second marriage.He may even be the James Leahy married to Elizabeth Maher, married 1873 at Patrick's Plains.Any help to pin him down is greatly appreciated.
Roy Andrews
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   

Hi Juli,
The best thing to do is write to the Singleton Family History Society at
Singleton.

The address is:
Singleton FHS
P. 0. Box 422 Singleton
NSW 2330

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
LIBRARY:
Ground floor,74 George Street, Singleton 2330

OR

subscribe to the Hunter Valley Mailing List

How to subscribe.
Just send the command "subscribe" in the subject line to
AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley-D-request@rootsweb.com.

lahey
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   

James lahey settled in portmacquarie. He was asigned to major kemp.Major kemp used him to over see his watering holes. he was granted land in the upper hasting valley half way between walca & port macquarie closer to port than walca.
I am decendent to one of his children & live on the midnorth coast
janicekeanin
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:31 am:   

James Lahey came to australia as a convict in 1838. He was an army man in India and tried to stab his adjudicant (sp?) He married Martha Eaton in India and she followed him to australia. They had a total of 11 children. He was endentured to Major Archibald CLunes Innes in Port Macquarie as a butler. At the end of his time of 7 years deportation, he signed a contract to run the Yarras Wool Pack Inn for Major Innes. Yarras is west of Port macquarie on the oxley hwy. He also bought land in the area and had a homestead and orange grove. He died in Tia (east of Walcha)and is buried in a private grave on property currently named Ravenswood at Yarras
cindy
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   

I am also looking for information on a James Lahey who worked on Fossil Down Station in Western Australia for many years in the early 1900s, he died in Wyndham (WA) in 1939. His death certificate does not provide much details about his family. It indicates he was about 69 years old when he died. Could he be one of the 11 children of James Lahey & Martha Eaton? Janice, are you aware of their children details? Appreciate any information. Thanks
andrew
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 3:20 pm:   

hi cindy james lahey of fossil down station is the son of james and eliza lahey of tia via walcha he was my great uncle had a very colourfull past he was born at tia 1871

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: