Discus » Singleton, NSW, Australia FHS » Noble / Widders « Previous Next »

Roy Andrews
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   

To: <roy@xroyvision.com.au>
Subject: research
Date: Monday, 10 October 2005 11:42 AM

Dear Roy,

I am a PhD student in history at LaTrobe university and I came across your
impressive Website about the Singelton district.
I was very pleased to see the picture of Mary Noble, as part of my research
deals with her husband Albert Widders.
I wanted to ask you if you had further details or pictures about Mary Noble or
about her children.
Thank you very much for your help,
Regards,
Bastien Bosa

Roy Andrews
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   

Hi Batien, sorry about the late response.
Im fascinated by your interest in the Noble/Widders
family - I do have a fair bit of info on their family and
some images - a more high res photo of Mary,
Bastien Bosa
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   

Hi Roy,
Here's another message because I have to leave Australia at the end of December and I try to get as much information as I can before then.
Sorry to bother you about this and thanks again for your help.
Cheers,
Bastien
bastien bosa
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:52 am:   

Hi Roy,
Thank you for your message and for the family tree.
I am trying at the moment to write a text about Albert Widders and there are a few questions I wanted to ask, in case you or anyone on the list is able to give me a few more details.
So far the story, as I understand it, goes as follows:
Albert Widders spent his early years at the Station of Ravensworth, where he worked as a stable boy for Captain Russel. There he did not get any formal education but he learnt the skills necessary to Station life and on attaining his majority, he was promoted to the position of head stockman.
I guess it is at about this time that he met Mary Noble, the second daughter of John Noble and Mary Chilcott. They married on the 22nd of August 1864 at Jerry’s Plain, near Singleton, and they were both 21.
‡ Is there any documents, pictures or stories surviving about the marriage of Albert and Mary?

From what I understand John Noble had been brought to Australia in 1827-28 by Mr Henry Dangar to train his horses in Sydney, and later in Baroona, Singleton. He later became a cattle and dairy farmer, milking over 100 cows with his wife and children, and making money from selling cheese, butter, bacon to gangs on the railway being constructed from Singleton to Muswell.
‡ Do you know when the Noble acquired their land and how important a family they were in the district at the time of the wedding? And in later periods?

Albert and Mary settled in Patricks’ Plain where they had two children, William W. in 1866 and George in 1969 and they acquired a piece of land and a farm.
‡ Do you know where their selection was located? Did they keep in close contact with the family?

At some stage, Albert was also working as a gifted horsebreaker at Ravensworth (the land of the Noble was adjacent) and Segenhoe.
‡ Do you have any information about these properties?

Then Albert and Mary separated (but they never divorced).
‡ Do you know the reasons or conditions of this separation?
I know that Albert was accused of manslaughter in 1973 but was acquitted during the trial. Do you know about this episode and do you think that it is what caused the separation?

Later Albert met another woman at Orundumbi Station and had another family with her in the Armidale district.
What happened to Mary and the children after Albert left? Do you know if he kept in contact with them (at least with his children) in later years?
Also I would like to know more about the children of William and George. Did they remain in the district? Did they keep in contact with the family? What sorts of jobs they got?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I would be very happy if you or anyone interested in the history of the family, can help me to solve at least a few of those mysteries.
Thank you very much for your time and for your help,
Regards
Bastien
paul widders
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:00 am:   

hi my name is paul widders im from armidale nsw my father and grand father was named ernest widders my great grand father was named george widders his father was named albert widders i think he was from singliton please if you have any info let me know thank you
Roy Andrews
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 10:26 am:   

Albert WIDDERS,(.. ... ....-deceased)
M.(.. ... 1864) Mary NOBLE,(.. ... 1843-1 Jul 1929)
a.k.a. Mary WIDDERS
1. William Albert WIDDERS,(30 May 1865-deceased)
M.(2 Apr 1888) Elizabeth COOPER,(16 Jul 1864-26 Sep 1948)
a.k.a. Elizabeth WIDDERS
1. Catherine Mary WIDDERS,(2 Aug 1889-deceased)
a.k.a. Catherine Mary WILLIAMS
M.(24 Aug 1910) Thomas Henry WILLIAMS,(.. ... ....-deceased)
2. Leslie J WIDDERS,(.. ... 1891-deceased)
M.(.. ... 1922) Helen "lena" ADAMS,(.. ... ....-.. ... ....)
a.k.a. Helen "lena" WIDDERS
1. Lena WIDDERS,(.. ... ....-.. ... ....)
3. William Leo WIDDERS,(.. ... 1893-28 Sep 1913)
4. Reginald R WIDDERS,(.. ... 1896-20 Mar 1973)
M.(9 Jul 1921) Dulcie Irene HAMPTON,(.. ... ....-15 Aug 1980)
a.k.a. Dulcie Irene WIDDERS
5. Claude C M WIDDERS,(.. ... 1898-deceased)
M.(.. ... 1934) Enid M MARKHAM,(.. ... ....-.. ... ....)
a.k.a. Enid M WIDDERS
6. Phoebe G WIDDERS,(.. ... 1900-deceased)
a.k.a. Phoebe G HARDY
M.(.. ... 1921) John "jack" HARDY,(.. ... ....-.. ... ....)

2. William Wentworth WIDDERS,(.. ... 1866-.. ... 1866),never married,no issue
3. George Noble WIDDERS,(.. ... 1869-deceased)
M.(.. ... ....) Ada May WELLARD,(.. ... 1887-.. Oct 1966)
a.k.a. Ada May WIDDERS
1. Doris M WIDDERS,(.. ... 1904-deceased)
a.k.a. Doris M HAYES
2. Milton George WIDDERS,(.. ... 1906-deceased)
4. Edward A WIDDERS,(.. ... 1869-.. ... 1869),never married,no issue
Kerry Gwen RYAN
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   

Hello, Are you still interested in following up these leads? My maternal grandmother was Catherine Mary WILLIAMS (nee WIDDERS). If so please email me.
My name is Kerry Ryan, but I use lizmegan@bigpond.net.au
Roy Andrews
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 8:24 am:   

Hi there Kerry,
Im the owner of this list and I have a lot of interets in this lineage as it ties into my Chilcott and Noble lines. I have a reasonable amount of photos in this lineage if you are interested,
regards,
Roy Andrews
ElizabethHatton
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 3:26 pm:   

To Roy Andrews - Leslie Widders and Helena (Lena)Adams (Born Edinburgh Scotland). Daughters name Helena married Floyd Tate she was an American war bride. I presume she lives in or lived in America. I am an Adams decendent Helena Adams was my Grandfather's sister
regards Liz Hatton
richard widders
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 4:51 pm:   

Hi Roy
i have spoken to you in previous years re Albert and his second wife Jessie Mahoney/marney, you were going to see if you could get a picture of Albert, or other info re his brother George or indeed his father also named george,
happy to hear of any developments cheers
Lesley Widders
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:56 pm:   

Hello
My name is Lesley Widders , I was born in Armidale New South Wales and my father is Ernest Albert Widders, born in Emmaville New South Wales 1917 and his father is George Widders and his father was Albert Widders who is buried in Armidale Cemetery.
Patricia Knox
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 5:18 pm:   

Hi I'm Patricia Knox I'm from guyra but my uncle Christopher roy knox married violet beryl widders in 1944 at armidale. Just wondering if anyone knows any info as my dad only just remembers 'ROY'. Please email me at
trisharose77@hotmail.com as I know I have cousins in armidale but would like to make contact with them. THANKS
Trish
Katrina Fuller
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 1:41 pm:   

Hi my name is Katrina Fuller I was born in Armidale.. My Nan Dawn Fuller grandfather is Albert Widders from his second marriage to Jessie. Jessie had a daughter named Ellen which is my Nan's mother. I need to know more about my heritage for job purposes. The station that Jessie was on ect. If anybody could shed some light I would be grateful.
su compton
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2015 - 11:29 am:   

I have found a book which looks like it belonged to Jack Alan Crofton. His granmother June has filled in the details and it says her mother was Catherine Mary Williams nee Widders DOB 2.8.1889 & she lived near Singleton. This book has a number of family photos in it mostly of Norm Guy. I would like to retrun them and the book. Can you help?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: