Henry Creber and Honour Cryme Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Surnames A-Z » Henry Creber and Honour Cryme « Previous Next »

Admin (Admin)
Username: Admin

Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 8:31 am:   

Hello,

I wonder if you could help me please ? I tried to contact Pam Barraball through your website but the message got bounced back. Would it be possible for you to forward this message on to her please ? If not, can you help with any of my questions ?

Thank you for your co-operation.

Katherine Southall

----- Original Message -----
From: Katherine Southall <mailto:katherine.southall@tesco.net>
To: pam@nmalden.demon.co.uk
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 1:27 PM
Subject: Anne Creber b. 1797

Hello Pam,

I am trying to confirm whether or not I am descended from Henry Creber and Honour Crymes's daughter, Anne, born in around 1797.

The evidence I have so far is Henry Creber's will, bequeathing some money to my great-great-grandmother, Honour Crymes Glanville. I have Honour Crymes Glanville's marriage certificate, showing her marriage to Thomas Spry, and the birth certificate of my great-grandmother, Emmeline Spry, showing her mother as Honour Crymes Glanville. I have all subsequent Birth and Marriage Certificates linking me to Emmeline Spry.

I am awaiting details of Anne Creber's marriage to Henry Glanville on 28th March, 1820, in Whitchurch, Devon. Honour Crymes Glanville's marriage certificate confirms Henry Glanville as her father. Henry Glanville's wife, Anne, died in 1834 aged about 37.

Anne Creber and Henry Glanville had the following children:-

Ann Creber Glanville born Whitchurch, Devon, England 1821 Emmeline Glanville born Whitchurch, Devon, England 1823 Honor Crymes Glanville born Whitchurch, Devon, England 1825 Henry Crymes Glanville born Whitchurch, Devon, England 1828 John Glanville born Whitchurch, Devon, England 1831 The naming conventions, i.e. my great-great-grandmother being called Honour Crymes, suggests to me that she is the granddaughter of Honour Crymes and Henry Creber. The reason for my doubt is the following information, put forward by an Australian lady:-

Mrs Margaret Filsell

By far the poorest of all my greatgrandparents was Richard Hammett, eventually a paver in Devonport Dockyard. His mother, Anne Creber, was the daughter of Henry, a prosperous farmer in Walkhampton, Devon and his wife Honour Crymes, daughter of Amos, the vicar of Buckland Monachorum from 1752 to 83. From the late 16th century the Crymes, together with the Drakes, had been one of the most important families in the area. When Anne Creber ran away with one of her father's hired hands, Richard Hammett, her family disowned her and , when Anne died and Richard disappeared, let all the children be cared for by Walkhampton parish. Fortunately my great grandfather, also Richard, was lucky enough to be placed as apprentice with a kind farmer who treated him well. I know this because, although Richard died young, my grandmother was told the story by her mother and she told my mother. Since then I have been able to trace many of the records and have found that it goes back to my nine times great grandfather Thomas Drake, who, being the youngest brother of Sir Francis, who died childless, inherited his estate at Buckland Abbey. Thomas shared many of Francis' exploits, including his voyage round the world 1577-80. Because of the fame of the Drakes my eight times great grandfather, also Sir Francis, was able to make an advantageous marriage which takes my line back, through Elizabeth Seymour, sister of Jane, the third wife of Henry VIII, and further back to Edward III.
I have contacted one of her cousins, who seems to doubt her story. The main evidence that seems to come from their "family legend" is that an Ann Creber married a Richard Hammett in 1815 in Plymouth, as follows:-

The father, Richard Hammett came from Walkhampton in the area of Princetown, Dartmoor. His father worked as a kind ,( labourer) on the farm of a man called Creber. As told by my mother, the daughter of the farm went off with her father's labourer and married him. They must have stayed in Walkhampton because she was helped in her poverty by her mother sending ( secretly) baskets of produce. The poor girl must have died fairly young leaving a young family. The father, thinking he must be the bone of contention, left Walkhampton thinking the grandfather would relent. But he didn't, & the children were put in the care of the parish. My grandfather was lucky and was placed as an apprentice with a farmer & his wife who were always good to him.

A Richard Hammett was also listed as living with Elizabeth Pearse, sister of your ancestor, Margaret Rundle. He is listed as living with the Pearses at Knowle in both the 1841 and 1851 Censuses. This, in itself, is not any proof of a family relationship to the Pearses though.

What I was wondering is do you know of any connection between your family and the Glanvilles or Sprys, as Margaret Rundle's children should have been the cousins of Henry Glanville and Anne Creber's children ? If so, any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have some old family photographs, many of who I do not know. If we are related, it is possible that you may have copies of the same photos, which could help prove a link. I am happy for you to have access to these photos if you are interested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time in reading this.
Katherine Southall

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: