Wood nee sidaway Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Surnames A-Z » Wood nee sidaway « Previous Next »

anne brumfitt
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 5:56 am:   

Looking for my great aunt Hetty Sidaway from Barnsley Yorkshire UK (and her family Clifford and Betty Wood ) married 1931 Wingen NSW to Albert Wood a grazier (born 1890). Also Albert's father James Wood and his mother Susannah Elizabeth Bell and other issue.
anne brumfitt
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 8:19 am:   

Since posting this message I have found most of what I was looking for .... Wood family back to 1774!

I still need help contacting the descendants ( 3 still living )of James Alfred Wood b 1883 and his wife Grace Barwick b 1885 as well as the descendants of Hetty Wood nee Sidaway (possibly still living age 100 years in the Scone area) and her husband Albert Wood. Their son Clifford died 1989 leaving one sibling still living - Betty? married with children.

The whole family seem to have lived in the Scone, Tamworth, Wingen area since the mid 19th century.Can anyone help please?
Roy Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 8:24 am:   

Hi Anne, I will try and find the www or snail mail addresses of Family research centers around the places you have mentioned - or have you done that.
abrumfitt
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 7:35 am:   

Hi Roy

I've sent notes to www.HunterValleygenealogy.com
This seemed a good place to start. I've tried local newspapers and tried some residential homes for peole who know local families. What next? A local researcher I think - can you suggest anyone who can look up bmd that are current rather than 'family history' as they have such a cut off access.

Thanks

A
Roy Andrews
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 8:10 am:   

Try 1 - Singleton Family History Society at
Singleton.
The society is manned by a collection of very keen volunteers and they have
so many records there at the society room. They also do a $10 research of the
records held at the society.

The address is:
Singleton FHS
P. 0. Box 422 Singleton
NSW 2330

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
LIBRARY:
Ground floor,74 George Street, Singleton 2330

Open Mondays 5pm to 8pm, Wednesday 12 noon to 3pm,Saturdays 1 pm to 4pm,
Public Holidays excluded.
Use of Library facilities free to members Non members - $5 per visit.
MEMBERSHIP: Dues commence 1st February each year $25 Single $30 per family.

2 -
subscribe to the Hunter Valley Mailing List

How to subscribe.
Just send the command "subscribe" in the subject line to
AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley-D-request@rootsweb.com.
abrumfitt
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 5:48 am:   

This is another good piece of info - thank you.

I have now discvered that the Woods and the Barwicks are closely intertwined in a number of generations and I know that there are 3 female descendants still living in that line ( but who and where? - children of Grace Sarah Barwick and James Wood ? 3 daughters still living?)I also now know that my grandmother's niece was not baptised 'Bettie' but Olive Elizabeth Wood - and is still living - but where? 100years old?

So ... things are proceeding albeit slowly!

Thanks for the help - its really appreciated
A
ingrid
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   

hetty wood died in the early 1990's. her daughter betty and son in law noel towns live in scone, nsw , (waverley street, scone, I think} they have 6 adult children, and a number of grandchildren. maurice seymour of parkville, near scone is related to the barwicks and knows the barwick family history.
ingrid
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   

hetty wood died in the early 1990's. her daughter betty and son in law noel towns live in scone, nsw , (waverley street, scone, I think} they have 6 adult children, and a number of grandchildren. maurice seymour of parkville, near scone is related to the barwicks and knows the barwick family history.
ingrid
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:26 am:   

Clifford wood was unmarried and had no children. When Clifford & Betty Wood were teenagers they travelled to England with their mother (Hetty Wood nee Sidaway), they lived in england for a while and worked while there (in mill jobs?}
ingrid
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:26 am:   

Clifford wood was unmarried and had no children. When Clifford & Betty Wood were teenagers they travelled to England with their mother (Hetty Wood nee Sidaway), they lived in england for a while and worked while there (in mill jobs?}
ingrid
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:56 am:   

Betty nee woods & noel towns have 6 children, I can only remember the names of 5 of them - ann/e (unmarried no issue), keith (issue}, peter (issue), janice (issue), douglas (I don't know if he has any issue}. The first 4 children were born in the 1950's and the 2 youngest children - Janice & Douglas were born in the 1960's.
ingrid
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   

The Scone and District Family History Centre, Kingdon Street, Scone, NSW. 2337. might have information, they have a research centre (open Wednesdays) and a museum (open Sundays).
annebrumfitt
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 5:46 am:   

Hi Ingrid
How nice to hear from you. You will be pleased to hear since I posted my messages I have not only found my missing family but have also been to see them - I have just returned this last week! How do you fit into the picture? Do you belong to one of the many branches in this convoluted family? Do let me know please.

Meanwhile - thank you for sending this info - I can tell you that when they came to England after the death of Hetty's husband, they lived in Barnsley with my grandmother and mother and for a while with their grandfather Hetty's father (& my greatgrandfather). Clifford worked in a builders yard and Betty (who should still have been at school!)worked as a junior shop assistant in town.
Coleen Pinkerton
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   

Hi, I am doing some research for Noel Towns (husband of Betty Woods). Noel is very ill at the moment
I came across your site and was interested in your link to Betty - our families have alwyas been close
I would appreciate any info you can give me on Betty's family as it will expand out the Towns side nicely to give them a broad family history

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: