Bucknell, William Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Surnames A-Z » Bucknell, William « Previous Next »

fordhen
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 1:48 pm:   

Michael Coughlan transported in 1829 was assigned to William Bucknell on the Hunter River District. Anyone have any information about William Bucknell?
Roy Andrews
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 7:42 am:   

Hi there ,the best thing to do is write to the Singleton Family History Society at
Singleton.
The society is manned by a collection of very keen volunteers and they have
so many records there at the society room. They also do a $10 research of the
records held at the society.

The address is:
Singleton FHS
P. 0. Box 422 Singleton
NSW 2330
Naomi McDonald
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   

William Bucknell m Martha Wentworth in 1811 in Ireland.I don't have any details of coming to Aus.
One of their children Charles Wentworth Bucknell married more than once and produced numerous children. Two of the children Katie & William went with Charles to Fiji in 1870. Katie who married Thomas Garnett was my Great Grandmother.
I have a lot more info on the Bucknell & Wentworth families.
Neal Bucknell
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   

Naomi and (?)Henry

I have a considerable amount of information about our family who arrived in Sydney on the ship "Adrian" in 1826. Charlie was quite a lad, actually, running off with the Judge's daughter in the middle of one court case, which (perhaps unsurprisingly in the circs)resulted in an adverse finding. I would be interested to hear from either of you. I have a Family Tree which needs updating.
Anne Knott
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   

There is a very good compilation of the William and Martha Bucknell descendants and some of the early history by Trissia and Bill Waddingham.

Is there anything specific anyone wnats to know? They had association with the Wentworth as Martha was a Wentworth prior to her marriage.

Naomi perhaps you could email me privately - we are on different lines - I come from Charles Wnetworths liason with Angasena MCKAY (before he went to Fiji) but much of the information will be the same.
Neal Bucknell
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   

From what I know, Martha Wentworth was a cousin of William Charles Wentworth (of Vaucluse fame)who played a significant role in the affairs of the Colony in its early days. The Vaucluse collection contains a couple of watches made by William Bucknell. The Wentworths came from Portadown, but I have never found any record of their marriage. They are supposed to have been destroyed during the civil strife there.

In my previous posting I said that Charlie ran off with the Judge's daughter. That was wrong. It was his grand-daughter, Jessie Windeyer Eldershaw.

Does anyone have any evidence regarding William's forebears? I have done some guesswork (based on likely birthdates and locality) and this suggests that his parents were Edward & Mary, his grandparents were Joseph & Joice, and his great-grandparents were Thomas & Susannah. Can anybody provide confirmation (or otherwise) or supplementary info which might help?

Let us all remember that William & Martha arrived in 1826, so there is a bi-centenary coming up in 20 years' time.
Clarke Valentine Bucknell
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:47 am:   

I wish I had seen this earlier. My name is Clarke Bucknell. My dad was William Dennis Bucknell [died in NZ 2 yrs ago]His dad was Bazil Bucknell, whose dad was William Charles Wentworth and mum was Jessie Windeyer Eldershaw.
My greatgrandfather, Bazil came from Australia apparently from afamily of clockmakers. I actually have the whole family tree that has the names of all William C Wentworth and Jessie W Eldershaw's other children. The next time I'm on the net [tomorrow?] I'll post it!!
Alan Edward Bucknell
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   

Hi, Naomi Mcdonald i would like you to please contact me, email afastbuck@gmail.com
Samuel Bucknell
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 3:29 pm:   

Bula...My name is Samuel Bucknell of the Fiji Islands and I'd like to inform you that I am also a desendant of William and Martha Bucknell. Charles Wentworth Bucknell is one of their sons,born on jan 4,1822 at westminister, London, England.He died in 1889 at the age of 67 in Fiji.I am his 4th generation.
Naomi McDonald
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2011 - 4:35 pm:   

I have not been on this site for some time.
Interested in all info on William Bucknell and his family. Please put Bucknell as subject
Naomi McDonald naomi_mcdonald@hotmail.com
Alan Edward Bucknell
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 5:54 pm:   

Samuel bula, i am currently living in Australia Queensland Gold Coast i to am from the same tree bro, who may i ask were your parents, my dads name is Philp Bucknell, my grand fathers name was Bazil and Amelia Bucknell i was born in Sigatoka, i understand that we were from Korolevu, my email is afastbuck@gmail.com be nice to hear from you vinaka mada moce.
Alan Edward Bucknell
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 6:14 pm:   

Anne Knott hello may i ask of you please to give me more information re the Bucknells that arrived in Fiji, i have photos of their Graves in Korolevu Fiji on the grave stone are these words, He has earned his rest in loving memory of Charles Walter eldest son of C.J.and E M Bucknell April19th 1897___Feb.21st1921/ another is Charles JulianBucknell wife Edith Maude Bucknell/another son of C.V.and E.M.bucknell who was in theAustralian Ifantry Died 1942 aged 31 regards Alan.
Marcus Bucknell
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 1:45 am:   

Ni sa bula,

My name is Marcus Raymond Bucknell.

I am the grandson of Margaret Sylvia Bucknell, daughter of Raymond Bucknell of Korolevu who married a Fijian woman.

My 78 year old grandmother, Margaret is still alive and is here in Sydney, where I now live, visiting from Fiji. She still lives near Korolevu.

Last week we were in Warilla visiting the Bucknell Street there and the Bucknell area in Newtown, Sydney.

We would love to hear from any Bucknell's in Sydney or anywhere else in the world who would like to share information.

I have enjoyed the 2 months listening to all the oral history regarding the Bucknell family settling in Sigatoka, Ba and Levuka in Fiji from my grandmother.

Regards to you all.
Marcus Bucknell
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 1:48 am:   

I use marcus.r.bale@gmail.com and am contactable on 0410386777. Vinaka.
Suhel
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 3:24 pm:   

Your site is a refreshing chagne from the majority of sites I have visited. When I first started visiting web sites I was excited by the potential of the internet as a resource and was very disappointed initially. You have restored my enthusiasm and I thank you for your efforts to share your insights and help the world become a better place.
Samuel Bucknell
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 12:59 pm:   

Bula once again to the BUCKNELL's out there....haven't visited this site lately and I just wanna say how proud I am to have learnt more about the Family and its history.The Fijian Bucknell's I understand have grown here in Fiji and alot us have not known each other.If anyone would like to share information on my line of this huge Family tree, please email me : s.palubuck@gmail.com
Clay Bucknell
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 10:49 pm:   

Hi all,

My name is Clayton Bucknell grandson of Albury and Agnes Bucknell (both born in Fiji), son of Laurence and Linda Bucknell (born NZ). I have just started researching and am hooked I would love to know more about the Bucknell’s going to Fiji from Australia then on to NZ…where I was born

Some great links in case you haven’t seen them:

Brief history of William and Martha Bucknell:
.sydneyarchives.info/essays-a-histories/28-william-and-matha-bucknell

Bucknell book: The descendants of William and Martha Bucknell : Elmshall, Paterson River, NSW / compiled by Trissia and Bill Waddingham.
://trove.nla.gov.au/work/23897279?q=subject%3A%22Bucknell%2C+William%2C+c1777-1856+--+Family.%22&c=book&versionId=28901992
joseva okyalolo nakautoga
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 8:45 am:   

hi' my name is joseva nakautoga i'm not a bucknell but the bucknell blood runs through my veins i'm staying in Nailaga village Ba in the western side of viti levu and all my great grandparents were decendent from the bucknell family…that's from my mother's side
Waddingham
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 11:38 am:   

To Joseva Okyalolo Nakautoga. Please e-mail me and I can send you a tree of the Fiji Bucknell's. Please give details of your mother's parents so I can add her to the tree.
Is Nailaga near Varoko estate?
Bula vinaka, Bill(email:- wadding@tpg.com.au)
Samuel Bucknell
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2013 - 11:14 am:   

Bula Joseva,

I am a great grandson of Percy Bucknell, the son of Basil Bucknell to Adi Akanisi Rasoki of Nailaga, Ba. I believe that it was 2002 if I'm not mistaken, that our family for the first time, was presented to the mataqali, as my grandfather, my dad and uncle were dressed traditionally for the ceremony. Ni sa cola vina...
Clarke Bucknell
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:08 pm:   

Wow...I've always wondered if there were any connections still in Korolevu Marcus, please tell me that your Grandmother is still alive and if so please give her address at Korolevu.
I'm a late comer to the Bucknell clan. I only found out who my real dad was when I was 30 yrs old! Prior to that I was know as Clarke Valentine. As soon as I found out and got in touch with dad [William "Lame" Bucknell] in NZ I changed my surname along with my family.
I too have visited and seen the graves Alan and long to know more.
I will seriously propose we organize a family reunion ASAP.
Clarke Bucknell
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:13 pm:   

Sorry, forgot my email address for anyone that's interested.
It's: fijibucknells@yahoo.com
Amazingly I created that email address 22yrs ago, when I discovered that I was BUCKNELL.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: