Lucina Drake Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Drake genealogy » American - USA Drakes » Ohio Drakes » Lucina Drake « Previous Next »

Admin (Admin)
Username: Admin

Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 9:21 am:   

I just saw a discussion on a mailing list about people in this country believing the descend from Sir Francis Drake. What prompt my curiosity is that my gg grandfather, Shubael Edgar Swain, who was a well know lawyer in NYC, had a brother, Valentine Swain, who moved to Ohio and married Lucina Drake. Lucina had a brother named Sir Francis Drake and he married Maria Antoinette Jones. So now I am, or course, wondering if this family thought they were related or even why they gave him that name? I wonder if you can enlighten me a bit. Valentine and Lucina are talked about in Pioneer Families of Cleveland Ohio, which is on the net. They were kind people who helped many others. There is an error in this in that in two different places, Valentine is given the same mother but two different fathers. The correct father is Shubael Swain, a ship captain who moved from Mass to NYC and actually, after his wife’s death, moved to Ohio to be with his other son and died and was buried there.

Thank you

Sue Maxwell

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: