Keziah Champion Drake Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Drake genealogy » American - USA Drakes » North Carolina Drakes » Keziah Champion Drake « Previous Next »

Admin (Admin)
Username: Admin

Posted on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 8:53 am:   

Roy,

I came across a reference in a 2004 Drake roll call concerning a question about the Cherokee Indian connection of Keziah Champion Drake. Her son Richard had a daughter Adeline “Addie” who married John Brown in 1884 in Henderson County NC. My GGrandmother Rosa, was a daughter of John and Addie Brown. We have reference to the Cherokee Indian heritage of Keziah Champion but have not been able to verify this information. I have seen other Drake information (see below) that states Keziah Champion being from Rutherford County NC.

I hope some Champion researcher will be able to help me.

We recently came across a Civil War claim where a Kizziah (Keziah) Drake filed on behalf of her deceased husband James Drake estate. In her deposition dated 1878 she states that she was born in Rutherford County, N.C. and has lived in Henderson County, N.C. for 41 years. She says she was 61 and she move to Henderson County when she was around 20 or 21. I suspect she moved to Henderson County when she married James Drake. She claims that she lived in Henderson County since 1837. Her tombstone shows she was born in 18-Dec-1816.

Does anyone know of a female Champion in a family in Rutherford County prior to 1837. According to her deposition/tombstone she would have been around 13 or 14 on the 1830 census and around 3 or 4 on the 1820 census. Hearsay is that her fathers name was Jame "Jim" Champion but I have no evidence for this.

Any help is appreciated. Troy Drake

Troy, I can provide some history on the Champions that lived in Rutherford Co. NC from 1810-1830. Her father was most likely Richard Champion and her mother Delilah Champion (his cousin). Richards parents were John and Keziah from NC, SC, then to Rutherford Co. NC. I have a daughter (actually two) listed without first names that were born during 1810-1820. I have much more on this family if you desire, please email me direct. Cathy S.

Did you receive any additional information to clarify Keziah’s background?

Keith G. Collins
Corporate Project Engineering Manager
Lance Incorporated
(admin has address)

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: