Samuel Drake son of John Drake & Eliz... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Drake genealogy » American - USA Drakes » CT Drakes » Samuel Drake son of John Drake & Elizabeth Rogers??? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Donald Drake
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 8:36 am:   

I am interested in information regarding Samuel Drake who left Windsor Ct. about 1650 for Fairfield Ct and then in 1663 to Westchester NY
Children were John, Joseph b. 1663 in Westchester, Rebecca, Samuel Jr., Hannah & Mary. There seems to be confusion about his parents that I show listed as John Drake and Elizabeth Rogers
David Copus
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   

The two well-respected secondary sources that I have looked at briefly do not show a Samuel as son of John Drake and Elizabeth Rogers. See Frank B. Gay, Descendants of John Drake of Windsor, Connecticut, Tuttle Co., Rutland, VT, 1933, p. 3 and Henry R. Stiles, The History and Genealogies of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut, Hartford, CT, 1892, Vol. 2, p. 178.
David Copus
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:17 pm:   

An additional well-respected secondary source, Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins, New England Historical and Genealogical Society, Boston, 1995, 2000 (Ancestry.com CD), does not list Saumel as a son of Elizabeth Rogers and John Drake.
Barbara Blizzard
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 6:04 am:   

In The Compendium of American genealogy, by Virkus, 1987 edition of Vol. IV, pg 619, the lineage of Samuel Drake d. 1686, Westchester NY is listed. Samuel, son of John who came to Boston 1630 m. Elizabeth who d. 1681 age 100 yrs, son of John of Plymouth Colony 1606.

This family is not to be confused with the John Drake m. Elizabeth Rogers son of William Drake, and who (John) rated a bio. on page 743 of the same book, while my John Drake of the Plymouth Company did not. Nor were they the same John Drake or there would have been a "qv" after his name which refers readers to the bio section.
margaret lewis
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 3:28 am:   

am looking for the parents of william b drake born born june 7th,1836 in hazleton, luzerne county,pa.died1917 in lock haven,pa
. census states that his father is from connecticut.william was in the civil war .Lived in lock haven,pa. married Clara Fowler and then Catherine Demuth.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Roy Andrews
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 7:36 am:   

Hi Margaret, can't find any mentions of william b drake , Clara Fowler or Catherine Demuth. Found the surnmae Fowlwe and Denuth.
Best thing to do is join Bill Olivers great Drake List. Instructions are at;
http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/exchange.htm

This is a discussion area for anyone who has an interest in the surname DRAKE
and it's many spelling variations. If you are interested in exchanging information on
your DRAKE ancestors or ask questions about them - this is the place for you.

regards,
Roy Andrews
Barbara Blizzard
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 5:20 am:   

Followup on an earlier message: The Drake DNA webpage found at Rootsweb http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~drakerobinson/DNAPages/DrakeDNA.htm
with a link on Roy Andrews page as well, shows that John Drake who died in 1659 is a stand alone lineage and unconnected to William Drake and Philippa Dennys which is proved by DNA.
Miss Andrea
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 5:07 pm:   

Does seem odd that there would be more than one John Drake who happened to marry Elizabeth's that lived to 100 years during the 1500's. I thought it was impressive enough that one person lived to be 100 during the 1500's let alone 2 people with the same first name with a husband of the same name. Am guessing information got a little mixed together at some point with the Johns and that one of their wives had a shorter life span in actuality. (kind of hoping my ancestor had the centurian status as ups my odds;) )It is a puzzle. I had read on one Drake site about there being a different class of Drake and that John could be of a lower class or something of that nature. Am wondering if Samuels John might have had the higher class being that his descendents married quite high class wise, but who knows. The blood DNA site is very interesting and seems to show that it is a different ancestor. Am new to this branch of my family tree.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: