Joel B. Drake Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Drake genealogy » American - USA Drakes » Tennessee Drake » Joel B. Drake « Previous Next »

Barbara
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 7:27 am:   

Posted: Thursday, 19 August 2004 11:12 AM
I have been searching for info about JOEL B. DRAKE for the past several years. I have most of the info from 1840 forward, but have been unable to learn who his parents and siblings were. I will give you the info I have:

In 1840 census Joel B. Drake (7 July 1814-12 March 1881) was listed in Giles County Tennessee with one female in the same age range. In a letter to my Dad from a Drake relative, dated 17 August 1969, it states that Joel B. Drake and Elitia Myra Benthall were married about 1836. They had 3 children. Millisa who died at the age of 2, the second child was stillborn and the third was Elitia Jane Drake who was evidently born after the census was taken in 1840. Elitia Myra Benthall Drake either died in childbirth or shortly thereafter. Elitia Jane was born in Giles Co., Tennessee 1 Oct. 1840 and died 13 Dec. 1909. In the 1850 Giles Co., TN. census Joel B. was married to Susan A. Williamson, 29, widow of Isaac N. Black. Children listed with them were Licia Jane, 10; Isaac N. Black, 10; Gitura A., 8; WM. A., 6; Lavocia R., 4; John L., 2; & unnamed baby 2/12. I assume Joel B. married Susan A. Williamson Black about 1841. The 1860 census shows that Joel B. and Susan are in Lawrence County, Tennessee and they have 3 more children: Martha, 8; Peter R. K., 6; Frank P., 4; and the baby unnamed in the previous census was named Richard.

Joel B. Drake and Artelia Fort Gooch were married 18 May 1862 in Lawrence Co. Tennessee. Susan Williamson Black Drake must have died shortly after the 1860 census was taken. She was 29 in the 1850 census, so she was about 40 or 41 years of age at the time of her death. In the 1870 Lawrence Co. TN. census Joel B. Drake and Artelia F. Gooch Drake had 4 additional children: Samuel A., 7; Joel C, 5; Anfa, 3; and Sherman S., 1. The 1880 Lawrence Co. census shows Joel B. and Anelia (Artelia) F. with 4 additional children: Ella C., 9; Gooch W., 6; Mark P., 3; and Weliver 4 /12.

Joel B. Drake died 12 March 1881 in Lawrence Co., Tennessee and is buried in Neal Cemetery on West Point Road close to West point, TN. I have never found the graves of either of his wives or the dates of their deaths. In the 1900 census his 3rd wife, Artelia F. Drake was still listed in Lawrence Co. I have some documents dated in 1904 stating she was living in Dyer County, Tennessee with a son. I haven't found her grave in Dyer county or Lawrence Co.

My connection to Joel B. Drake is: His first daughter, to live to adulthood, Elitia Jane, married George W. Welch 22 July 1861. They had 2 sons to live to adulthood and 5 other children who either died very young or after they were grown. Their youngest son, Ferdinand (Ferd) A. married Mary LaVirgie (Virgie) Smith in 1904 and their second son, George W. Welch (22 May 1907-9 Nov. 1990) who married Kate Young 8 Dec. 1928 was my father.

With all the children Joel B. Drake fathered I keep thinking there is surely someone in the family who is doing research other than myself. I would really like to learn who his parents and siblings were and where they lived before Giles County, Tennessee. Most of the census records state Joel B. was born in Virginia.

Barbara Welch Stevenson

barbwst@msn.com

Roy Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 8:58 pm:   

My apology for the late response, being winter in Australia I caught the
dreaded flu and that kept me out of action for some time.

Have added your Joel B Drake material to the site at;
http://www.xroyvision.com.au/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?4/659

The other thing to do is join Bill Olivers great Drake List. Instructions are at;
http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/exchange.htm
Mainly USA Drakes.
Barbara
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   

Roy,

Thanks so very much for adding my material to your site. Don't worry about being late with your response. I understand how it is when you have health problems. Hope you are feeling better now.

I told a friend a few weeks ago that you would think a man who was married 3 times and had at least a total of 19 children, I would be able to locate someone who is also researching his line. I hope your site will bring me some results. Thanks again.

Barbara Welch Stevenson
Roy Andrews
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 9:00 pm:   

I find it hard to believe that you can't find anybody researching the line
especially with 19 children - must be a huge lineage floating around
the USA and the world - good luck.
Roy

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: