Churchstanton Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Drake genealogy » English - UK Drakes » Churchstanton Drakes and families » Churchstanton « Previous Next »

David Drake
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 7:09 am:   

Actual posting: Saturday, 7 August 2004 12:27 AM
HI Roy,

I noticed on the Drake Roll Call Site you had mentiond that your earliest identiifed Drake is a John Drake born about 1565 in Devon and died c.1640:

http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/roll-call/march_2004_rollcall.html

Is this the same John Drake as the one in that is in Generation 3 that is married to Joan Glanville in Ken Edwards tree (which is on your website)?:

http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/researchs/526.html

I am in the UK but never been to Devon and I have traced my Drake line (via Census and Birth/Marriage/Death certificates) to the Samuel Drake that is Generation 9 (married to Elizabeth May) on Ken Edwards' Tree. The Samuel Drake of Generation 11 (b.1859) is my great grandfather.

I can not vouch for Ken's work earlier than my Samuel Drake of 1786-1870 since I have not had the chance to view Parish Records myself. I have tried contacting him but has not heard from him as yet.

Does your tree link with Ken's work? If so I would be interested to know how and where your line is descended from.

cheers,

David Drake
Roy Andrews
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 7:21 am:   

Hi David and my apology for not replying sooner.

With my Drakes, the pedigree takes me back to circa 1590 with Mark Drake
being born and by 1641 living at Churchstanton on the Devon/Somerset border.
His father was John Drake and every second Drake was named John. There must
have been hundreds of John Drakes around the UK and in that area.

His father was John Drake of County Somerset (parish unknown) who on 1st September, 1619, was granted a license to alienate " all that land and pasturage with appurtenances called Buncombe, the property containing by estimation 60 acres on the parish of Broomfeilde in the County of Somerset".(1)
He and his sons Mark, John and Thomas granted the said property to John Stawell, Esq,, and his heirs. Since, John (afterwards Sir John) had some connection with High Ham in Somerset, where the parish registers show there was a long-established family of Drake, it is possible that John Drake came from High Ham and that Mark Drake was born there. At present no baptismal entry has been found for him. It seems probable, however, that he was born about the end of the 16th century. (It is likely that John's three sons,had all to be over 18 to be parties to the deed quoted above).

He removed to Churchstanton, possibly about 1630, but at any rate before 1641 when he signed the Protestation Roll for the parish, and is also referred to at " of Churchstanton" in the entry in Pitminister Parish Register which records his marriage there, on 24th January, 1641, to Grace Babb of Pitminister..

I don't know which John Drake is the father of my Mark Drake. But I have Mark Drakes' will dated 1632
and he had a fair bit of money.

With Ken Edwards lineage, for all I know, one of those early John Drakes could be the father of my
Mark Drake but I guess I will never know - unless there is a miracle and records are uncovered or
I get to Devon.

Let me know what you think,
regards,

David Drake
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 7:22 am:   

Actual Posting: Monday, 4 October 2004 1:55 AM
Hi Roy,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply and apologies for my late reply too. I had to study your tree very carfully to understand it (it's huge!). I see that your connection to the Drake line is via your great grandmother, Emma Lucy Drake (24th Mar 1865-5th Sep 1966).

Based on the tree you mapped out on your site (excellent work)...i just want to clarify one thing. Right at the beginning of the tree, you had a John Drake with three sons, John Drake, Thomas Drake and Mark Drake.

http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/researchs/200.html#edward%20drake

That Mark Drake was listed as having a wife called Dorothy, followed by another Mark Drake (his son) who had a wife called Grace Babb. Yet in your text explanation....the Mark Drake that was married to Grace Babb was the son of John Drake and not Mark Drake....is that correct?

One other thing that may be of interest to you is that for some of the Drakes on the tree you posted that ended up in West Teignmouth, Devon.....you can fill in several gaps regarding marriage and burial dates and places by ordering the marriage and burial booklets of the relevant parishes that have been transcribed and sold by the Devon Family History Society:

http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/

You might already have done that?

My Drake line was from Wolborough, Devon and prior to that, it appears they were from Whitchurch/Buckland Monachorum so as far as I can see, there is no obvious link with your tree at present...but who knows if one goes back further in time?

I am working both backwards and forwards in time to find out what happened to all the Drakes in my tree.....it is mind numbing work at best but exciting when new leads are discovered!
Keep up with the good work on your site......your efforts are much appreciated.

Cheers,

David
Roy Andrews
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 7:29 am:   

Once again Im as late as usual. Find it hard to get on the computer
with work and teenagers around me.

With the text explanation relating John Drake to the 3 sons - that text
was put together by a Drake researcher in the 1950s. Unbeknown to
her, there was another Mark Drake in the lineage. He died in 1632 and
I have his will. Its a shame that his age at death wasn't put down in the
will.

I will order the marriage and burial booklets of the parishes for the
Teignmouth area as that would fill in so much of the BDMs.

Good luck with your Drakes as well,
regards,
Roy

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: