|Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 10:26 pm: |
Could you tell me how you pronounce"Cole"? Working on my ancestors I come up with so many spelling. Coley, Cooly .Cooley, Cole, Colee, colly The name I am working with the most is "Coley".
I under stand that Sir Francis Drake, lived in a boat hull as a child. The first one that is., the one that died in the 1596. I read that a nephew also named Francis Drake was given his title. Becoming the second Sir Francis Drake.I have tried to tell people that no one can be a descendant for a man that had no children.
Edna Monroe Dailey
|Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 10:27 pm: |
Hi Edna and thanks for your message.
I have only come up with "Cole" as a surname in the early Drake genealogy, the trouble was, I guess was
that too many people were iliterate and recorded people names the way they sounded and hence variations
in surnames today.
I don't know much about the Admirals early days but he was married twice but had no children. His brother
Thomas married Elizabeth Gregorie and their children were:
1. Elizabeth Drake who married John Bamfield, son of <b>Sir Amias Bamfield.
2. Sir Francis Drake, first Baronet of Buckland Monachorum, baptized
Sept 16, 1589, made first baronet on Aug 2, 1622.
daughter of Sir Amias Bampfylde. She died in 1613 and in 1615 Sir
Francis married Joan Strode, daughter of Sir William Strode. Sir
Frances and his 2nd wife had four daughters and five sons:
l. Sir Francis Drake, second Baronet of Buckland Monachorum who
married Dorothy Pym in 1640 and died without issue.
2. Thomas who married Susan, daughter of william Crimes in 1641.
3.John of Ivybridge, baptized July 28, 1624, married Prudence
daughter of Savery of Slade, died 1681. Left issue.
4. William married- no issue
5. Joseph, born 1630 married Margaret Crimes, daughter of
Ludovic Crimes in 1668/9. They had two sons:
1. Reverend Bamfield (Bamfylde) Drake, baptized Apr 12,1670
2. Francis Drake, baptized April 24, 1675
(Little was known about this branch of the family; their descendants ,
it is said, went to America")
The Rev. Bamfield Drake and his wife, Katherine had the following
1. <b>Joan</b> who married <b>Samuel Kay</b> in 1722
2. <b>Eleanor</b> married <b>William May</b> 1720
3. <b>Joseph</b>, baptized at Buckland Monachorum, 1694
4. <b>Francis</b>, baptized at Farway 1701; married <b>Mary BUCKINGHAM</b>
5. <b>Bamfield</b>, baptized at Farway 1704.
6. <b>William</b>, baptized at Farway 1705.
7. <b>John</b>, baptized at Farway 1709, Married Ann Spicer in 1736, died 1753.
Francis Drake, son of the Rev. Bampdylde Drake with two of his
brothers, Joseph and Bampfield; his wife, Mary Buckingham, and their
son, James, then six years old (1733), came first to Virginia. Francis
and his family settled in North Carolina. (Buckland Registry,
Devonshire, England; will of Rev. Bampfiylde Drake, proved in the
Principal Registry of the Bishop of Exeter on July 9, 1729, Devonshire,
England; Drake family Bible; M.A.Nash papers, NC; Drake Collection and
J.H. Arrington Papers."
I hope this helps a bit,