Dorothy Drake from Ugborough, Devon Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Drake genealogy » English - UK Drakes » Devon UK Drakes » Dorothy Drake from Ugborough, Devon « Previous Next »

Barry McMahon
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 1:20 am:   

My ancestry, through my father's maternal grandmother, traces to a Dorothia Drake born in Ugborough, Devon in 1539. She married a Thomas Cornishe in Ugborough Parish Church in May 1563, and she (at least) had a sister called Amea (some sources say this equates to Anna, or possibly Amy). This so far is fairly reliable, with the Ugborough Parish records indicating that Dorothia's parents were a Roberti Drake and Emite (Latinised Emma).

I am intrigued by references on the xroyvision web site to the capture of Francis Drake's cousin (John) by the Spanish in 1587, who, as you know, gave some information about his genealogy to his captors, including the fact that he had a sister called Dorothy, and parents Robert (deceased) and Anna, from Tavistock (Crowndale farm presumably).

I am wondering if the Dorothy in my ancestry, born in Ugborough, could be the sister that John named to the Spanish (ie: a cousin to Francis Drake). The dates seem to be consistent, the father's name agrees exactly and some of the other names (Amea/Emite/Anna) look as if they may correspond. The problem is that Tavistock/Crowndale Farm (assuming this is where the captured John Drake was born) is some 30 miles from Ugborough where Dorothy was born.

Would anyone happen to know if the Drake's at Crowndale moved there from elsewhere in S Devon? Also, are there any other sources of information on John's siblings, such as their relative ages?

Note that a Robert Drake appears in the lay subsidy roll for Devon in 1545, from Ugborough Parish. The name, place and time period are consistent with this being my ancestor Dorothy Drake's father. His entry in the roll states 'G3', which I assume indicates his worth. My impression is that he must have been a man of reasonable means to have got a mention. Could this strengthen the argument that my ancestor Dorothy is John's sister?
David Drake
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 7:32 am:   

Hi Barry,

I am very excited by the logic of your arguement and as soon as I read the name 'Dorothia Drake' my mind immediately zoomed to John Drake's genealogical testimony to the Spanish Inquisition. It makes sense...John Drake lived with Sir Francis Drake's paternal grandparents according to his own testimony. Unfortunately I do not have any other further information. Please feel free to contact me because I am also very keen to trace all these Drakes myself...!!

Are you saying that the Dorothy Drake of your line ALSO has a father called Robert Drake?

eurasian_david@yahoo.co.uk

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: