Devon, UK - Drakes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Drake genealogy » English - UK Drakes » Devon UK Drakes » Devon, UK - Drakes « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Ann Drake b. 1761 TonyD11-20-12  12:59 am
Seeking Link of Rebecca HAMLEY with JOSEPH DRAKE USA d1777   
Elizabeth Drake Roy Andrews12-09-03  5:59 am
Fredrick Drake / Edward Rossiter AJC07-08-01  9:12 am
Thomas Drake bapt Colyton Devon Sept 1635 Guy Harris10-05-02  12:17 am
Documentation on parents of Gillian Drakebethm06-01-02  1:34 am
Elizabeth Drake of Buckland MonacorumKate Berry02-04-03  5:35 am
Drakes in my family, from Plymouth England Diane Barrett02-05-03  7:16 pm
John Drake b 1852 Devonport, Devon, EnglandIrene Wraight03-04-03  6:12 am
Edward DRAKE, the son of William and ElizabethMalcolm Wake03-07-03  7:19 am
Elizabeth Drake royandrews10-22-03  9:40 am
Mary Drake born 1802 Julie03-21-04  1:42 pm
Samuel Drake married to Elizabeth MayRoy Andrews08-15-04  8:21 am
William DrakeLaura06-29-17  10:39 am
  Start New Thread        

ErnestHamley
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2001 - 11:11 am:   

We have this link in our family history mostly originating in Devon and Cornwall and would appreciate anecdotal or background notes conerning anything on JOSEPH DRAKE above who was reported buried Kentucky USA - said to have been one of the first hunters to come to the USofA and a descendant of the great Sir Francis of course. We do know from local Papers that joseph was the brother of JOHN DRAKE Mayor of Plymouth Devon ENG in 1753 but little else of his background. Thanks in anticipation to all you wonderful people researching the famous and historical DRAKE CONNECTIONS everywhere.

Also for useful *information* to subscribers our HHH FHS Intl. *Logo* because of its long UK West Country affinities bears the shield with 15 gold bezants (Spanish gold coins) from Cornwall's Coat of Arms and immediately thereunder a *ship* depiction which is said to be DRAKE's
famous ship which now forms part of the Official Coat of Arms of the County of Devonshire in England - It was only granted as recently as 1934 I understand.

Regards Ernest (Hamley) from base in London United Kingdom but with members in 8 countries worldwide. Signing Off 1 Sept 2000
David Drake
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2001 - 9:02 am:   

Charles DRAKE came from Plymouth Devonshire England to P.E.I. Canada in
1826 with his brothers Robert "John", Samuel and Enoch. It is reported
that his brother Enoch died at sea on that voyage. His parents were
Samuel DRAKE b)1769, and Joanna Coombe b)abt 1770, of Nymet Tracey,
England. There has never been any trace of him, but the story is that he
came along with his brothers to P.E.I. and then went to either Ontario
or maybe Boston.
David Drake
Vernon, B.C.
Jennifer Anne Drake
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 6:05 pm:   

My Name is Francis Alan Drake I was born in Aylesbeare Devon to Felix Alan Drake and Annie Thomas I migrated to Australia in 1956. I have a sister Shirley who married Donald Brice. I married Jennifer Baker in 1966 we have two sons.
Jennifer Anne Drake
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 6:08 pm:   

My Name is Francis Alan Drake I was born in Aylesbeare Devon to Felix Alan Drake and Annie Thomas I migrated to Australia in 1956. I have a sister Shirley who married Donald Brice. I married Jennifer Baker in 1966 we have two sons.
Jeannine Drake S.
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 6:05 am:   

I have my ancestors leading back to a Robert Drake who was believed to be from Colchester, in Essex, England. His year of birth was 1580/81 and was believed to have landed in Exeter, New Hampshire, USA about 1641/43. I am actually looking for the name of the ship he came in on for a report my daughter is doing on immigration. Any help would be grateful. Thank you!
Earl C. Tourgee
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 12:03 am:   

Seeking a typed will of William Drake, co Devon.

My descent is from Thomas Drake of Weymouth, MA, 'possibly', according to a NEHGR article, son of William Drake of Co. Devon, England.

In May of 1997, I wrote the following to the Gen-Medeival board.

'Highly desire proof of the following. Controversy abounds regarding this portion of the Drake's ancestry and perpetuates in the NEHGR as well as other publications, as it has for years. Can someone knowledgable with this family finally put the problem to rest once and for all times?

William Drake of Yardbury, Colyton Parish, bu. London, will probated 29 Feb
1639/40, m. Margaret Westofer/Westover. They had 8 children of which 3 ie: Joan, Elizabeth and Thomas, the youngest, left for the colonies after the death of their parents. Reference: The Drake Family in England and America, Louis Stroughton Drake, Boston, 1896. My sincere thanks for assistance in this area. Earl. e1091@aol.com.'

William Drake, of Yardbury, parish of Colyton, co. Devon, England, was buried in the Temple Church, London. His will was dated 2 Nov 1636, probated 29 Feb 1639/40. William married Margaret Westofer of Colyton, and she was buried in1635. William's will is found on P. C. C. Coventry 25.

Since then, nothing has surfaced since the original post or in emails to me, regarding the proof of Thomas Drake being a child of William Drake of Yardbury. Thomas was stated as 'possibly' Wm's son in the NEHGR article of the early 40's.

Needed is a complete typed copy of the old English will, or a copy of the legible will. I have a LDS copy, but it was a poor photograph, somewhat dark on both left and right side, but fairly clear in the middle. It is impossible for me, or others, to completely deceipher the lettering of the will in that condition.

A partial translation of the will of William Drake has been done as follows:

'--my _________ living younger sonne tho his portion of three hundred pounds to be
payed into ._____ of Thom when he shall attain into his full age of one & twenty
years And is that if any of the said children shall dye before his own that porsion shall be payd unto him or her that then the porsion of him or her whomsoever.shall combine & be equally divided amonst my said younger children And---.'

From the partial information transcribed, it appears the NEHGR article may have been published in error when it was stated that Thomas Drake of Weymouth, MA, may not have been a son of William Drake of county Devon. But until the will is completely translated, I'm withholding judgement.

Some legible names listed on the will of William Drake that may assist those looking for ancestors in the 1630's/40's in England.

Anthony Sande, William Poole, John Mills (or Millo), brother, Sir John Drake knight,
my good friend (Sason ________ ?) knight, John Button, sons of John Jamis Esq,
John ______of _______, John Drake my sonne & _____ _____, Gideon Walmond(?),
Robert Grinnel, John ____ , ____ Budgall(?).

Any suggestions on how I could obtain a typed copy of the will would be most greatly appreciated, and may all enjoy the expanded information

Have a safe and Happy Holiday season.

Earl C.
e1091@aol.com
Philippa Crabbe
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 8:19 am:   

Does anyone have the following people in their tree? I would like to research our Drake ancestors but so far can't find enough information from the registers : Henry Pinn (b 1731 "Salcombe")married Mary Drake (of Woodbury) at Woodbury Parish Church, Devon on 20 Oct 1761. Any help gratefully received!
Ben Drake
Posted on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 8:12 am:   

I am looking for any info on Issac Drake or his son Benjamin Clinton Drake born in Devom or Devonshire Uk Any help would be greatly appreciated
Marion Leigh
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:02 pm:   

Anyone with information about the DRAKEs of Dunscombe, Salcombe Regis, Devon? A Francis DRAKE, gent. married Elenor LEE at Salcombe 1 Mar 1714. A friend tells me he was the son of Phillip DRAKE (& his first wife) of Dunscombe, who had a coat of arms and was given as s/of Gilbert DRAKE (& Jone) of Littleham in Vivian's "Visitations of Devon".
Roy Andrews
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 8:47 am:   

Hi Marion,
there is a mention of Phillip Drake 5 or 6 times in the document:
Descendants of John Drake -
Esquire of Mt. Drake & Exmouth 1350
http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/researchs/559.html
Marion Leigh
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:44 am:   

Thank you Roy, for your prompt answer.
This is a great site, and was recommended to me by a friend.
Roy Andrews
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 5:39 pm:   

Hi there Marion and thanks for the nice comments re the website, its great to get feedback, makes it all the more worthwhile. There are Phillip Drakes mentioned on the "visitations" if you can get to a copy,
Roy
Helen Stacey
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 9:42 am:   

Seeking information on Elizabeth Drake born about 1783 Crediton, Devon.
Married Arnold Hope 1811 Saint David, Exeter glad of any Info re parents
thankyou
Roy Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 9:41 am:   

Hi there Helen and thanks for the message.
There is plenty of documentation on the Drake family worldwide on my Drake website at;

http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/drakepage.htm

Best bet is to put your names into the search engine on the site at;
http://www.xroyvision.com.au/search/search.pl

the other thing to do is join Bill Olivers great Drake List. Instructions are at;
http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/exchange.htm

This is a discussion area for anyone who has an interest in the surname DRAKE
and it's many spelling variations. If you are interested in exchanging information on
your DRAKE ancestors or ask questions about them - this is the place for you.

This may help you in your quest,
regards,
Roy Andrews

genealogy infoseeker: http://www.xroyvision.com.au/genealogy.html
drake website: http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/drakepage.htm
work: http://www.digitalpictures.com.au
email roy@xroyvision.com.au
Russell Downe
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 2:35 am:   

am looking for informmation on George and
Elizebeth Drake, there
Children were, Samuel, 1805, John 1806, Charlotee 1809, james 1812 all
born in Clyst St George.
russell downe
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 2:36 am:   

am looking for informmation on George and
Elizebeth Drake,
there Children were, Samuel, 1805, John 1806, Charlotee 1809, james 1812 all
born in Clyst St George.

welshspencer@aol.com
Roy Andrews
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   

Hi there Russell and thanks for the message.

The thing to do is join Bill Olivers great Drake List. Instructions are at;
http://www.xroyvision.com.au/drake/exchange.htm
This is a discussion area for anyone who has an interest in the surname DRAKE
and it's many spelling variations. (USA Drakes)
OR
The Devon UK Discussion board at;
http://members.boardhost.com/devonfhs/
(English Drakes)

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: