Hill End & Tambaroora Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Discus » Australian genealogy and useful links » Hill End & Tambaroora Gathering Group » Hill End & Tambaroora « Previous Next »

Roy Andrews
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 9:00 am:   

This email is just to let all those who contributed or who were interested in the Hill End & Tambaroora Pioneer Register know that work is progressing slowly and the data is gradually being compiled. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day......

We were a bit late in getting started as there had been such a wonderful response that we had to extend the closing date until the end of January and we are still receiving entries from the late starters as we speak. So, in case you have forgotten to respond it is not too late yet.

Some people have enquired about the last Gathering, held on Saturday 6th March. It was the 67th year that families from Hill End & their descendants have been meeting in the Sydney Botanical Gardens.

It a nutshell, it was a great day. The weather could have been better....unfortunately the heavens opened mid afternoon and the fine misty
rain became a downpour. However, the weather was the last thing on most people's minds as they discussed family stories and caught up with old
friends. There was a turnout of 50 - 60 people, some first timers and others have been coming for 30 - 40 years. One lady had been coming for 23 years, hoping to find a relative, and as it was her 70th birthday she bought a big cake which we all shared after singing Happy Birthday to her. Maybe one day, thru the Pioneer Register, we will find a Pierce relative for her...

The location, the old stone pavilion, was ideal as it was large enough to cater to our needs and even tho it was wet it wasn't cold so we were able to move around, and speak to almost everyone who was there. We had representatives from Victoria, Canberra and even Canada! The Groves arrived ready to make friends with their Australian cousins and much information was swapped and email addresses were flying thick and fast! Someone brought along an old photo album full of Hill End photos, unfortunately with no names on them, on the offchance that someone may have recognized an ancestor. What a wonderful resource...if only we remember to label our photos!

A few people had prepared handouts on their families for those who were interested and I was lucky enough to be given a copy of a photo of an
ancestor that a distant cousin had promised at the gathering last year.

A comment was passed by a newcomer that even tho so many of us did not know anyone else when we turned up at the gathering by the middle of the afternoon it seemed like we were all friends and had known each other for years. And, she commented, all our ancestors had probably known each other and has socialized just as we were doing 120 years ago as well!!! What a great thought.

Funnily enough, even tho we had taken lunch, this seemed a minor part of the day. We were all too busy talking and "connecting", swapping research
stories and hints and making new friends to grab a sandwich and coffee from the thermos!

There is no need to respond to this email, especially as I will not be readily able to access my emails for the next 3 months. I am leaving the project in willing hands as my husband & I are taking some long service leave and travelling the backblocks of the Australia deserts by 4WD. I will be back in early July and by then I hope that all the data entry will be done by our hardworking volunteers and I can then tidy it up for publication. I am feeling guilty leaving a few to all the hard work but a laptop would be grounds for divorce.......;-)))

Further enquiries can be made to Bill & Betty Maris 15 Gowan Brae Ave Oatlands, NSW 2117 (maris@froggy.com.au)

Regards to all, and I look forward to providing a further update in about 4 months.

Lorraine (on behalf of the Gathering)

frog_let@bigpond.net.au
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 12:05 am:   

My grandfather's people were at Sofala and Hill End. Family names were:
GGx3 Walter William Millett m. Mary Ann Gettens, GGx2 Henry Christopher Moir m. Eliz Millett.
GG John Thomas Moir m Mary Ann Hearty
They all died around Ulan Mudgee
G Edward Moir m Linda Stephens(mother Vine)
Stephens and Vine setttled in Scone 1860-70s
Susan Hopkins
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   

does anyone have any information or photos

NEWTON george and sarah(nee allen)
daughter Ellen married Samuel Russell 28 feb 1859

Married that day at the house of George Newton,
BALD HILL, near TAMBAROORA

Thank you to anyone who can help

susan
joy ludlow
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   

thomas & elizabeth gettens were my great great grandparents and lived at sofala & hill end.i come from their son thomas line mary ann was his sister.thomas snr owned an inn at upper turon in 1862.he had been a captain in the british army when he came in approx 1847
angela makin
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   

Hi there,
I descend from Edward Millett and Mary Gettens also from Edward and Jane Millett
also Ethel Blanche Millett.
Looking for more family genealogy if anyone interested.
Trudy Elkin
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 6:38 pm:   

Hi
Looking through my husbands book on the Maris family (1551-1984) history - compiled by Betty Maris. Many family members settled in and around Hill End, his grandmother Clarissa Maris was born there. Looking at photographs we cannot help but notice in some of them there appears to be Indigenous Ancestry? Has anyone got any info?
michelle maher
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 7:44 pm:   

have information on "james cox" whom was english born he and his brother "richard cox" both sent to australia 7 yrs for larceny in 1825 james 25 and richard 32 yrs old worked on farms as clearers then richard died unmarried james went on married had kids and ended up at gold rush hill end n.s.w entwines with the surname "maris" through marriage
Sandra Thompson
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 1:31 pm:   

Hello Trudy
I am also a descendant of the Maris family and live at Hill End. My Grandmother was Annie (Maris) Thompson. I believe there was indigenous ancestry
through a Jane Williams from Windeyer; she married John Maris.I believe they were married in Tamworth NSW. I will be pleased to hear from you
Laurel Crawford
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2012 - 3:35 pm:   

Trudy, I am your husbands cousin. My grandmother Clarissa often told me that the Garners came from America. I have a photo of Harry Garner and he is very dark. She often described granny Garner as an Indianna lady. Hope this info is some help to you
michelle maher
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 8:38 pm:   

upon reading and doing research i have done my daughters family tree surnames going backwards in order McCrohon,Elkin,Hornby,Maris,Garner,Cox i have even chased Cox over to england 02 6372 6251
michelle maher
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 8:03 am:   

PLEASE LAUREL CAN YOU PLEASE RING ME 02 6372 6251 OR EMAIL ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND I WILL RING YOU mma65552@bigpond.net.au PEASE PLEASE PLEASE i am in mudgee n.s.w
michelle
Brad Turner
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:18 pm:   

Hi Everyone, I am a descendant of William English (married Sarah Parsonage). He was an asssisted immigrant from Northumberland in the UK, who arrived in 1857. William is my GGG grandfather. I have a fair bit of info on him including newspaper articles from the 1870's through to 1914 (a year after his death). Happy to share them.
michelle maher
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 11:00 am:   

hi brad turner i am currently doing my daughters family tree i have come across the surnames hornby,maris,garner,cox
does your paper clipping mention any of these surnames
Brad Turner
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 9:23 am:   

Hi Michelle - I just had a look on trove and there are a couple of articles. Not sure if they are correct first names... I'll email them to your email.
cheers
Brad
Trudy Elkin
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 12:33 am:   

Hi There,
I havn't been on this site for a long time, & recently just stumbled back - so its nice to read the posts from laurel & Sandra (Hi!)
As I understand from emailing Betty Maris & searching births deaths & Marriages myself - Clarissa's mothers name was Roseann, she married Alfred Maris) Roseann was the daughter of Maria Teresa Garner - fondly known as Granny Garner (spelt Gouner on Maria's & Charles Garners marriage cert - no. 2240/1858 ) Maria Garner was the daughter of James Cox and "Catherine - a native woman" see birth V18371932 133/1837 (I believe James Cox was an Irish convict - No.36/272 he arrived in Australia on the ship Eliza II (1)on the 8th Nov 1827 & that "a native woman" was a term used for an indiginous Australian.I have included the B.D.M reg Numbers so you can search & have a look at them too. Laurel I have also heard that the Garners were also dark skinned too. Sandra I don't doubt that you are probably right about there being indiginous ancestry through Jane also!
Trudy Elkin
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 12:40 am:   

Hi There,
I havn't been on this site for a long time, & recently just stumbled back - so its nice to read the posts from laurel & Sandra (Hi!)
As I understand from emailing Betty Maris & searching births deaths & Marriages myself - Clarissa's mothers name was Roseann, she married Alfred Maris) Roseann was the daughter of Maria Teresa Garner - fondly known as Granny Garner (spelt Gouner on Maria's & Charles Garners marriage cert - no. 2240/1858 ) Maria Garner was the daughter of James Cox and "Catherine - a native woman" see birth V18371932 133/1837 (I believe James Cox was an Irish convict - No.36/272 he arrived in Australia on the ship Eliza II (1)on the 8th Nov 1827 & that "a native woman" was a term used for an indiginous Australian.I have included the B.D.M reg Numbers so you can search & have a look at them too. Laurel I have also heard that the Garners were also dark skinned too. Sandra I don't doubt that you are probably right about there being indiginous ancestry through Jane also!
Laurel Crawford
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 3:47 pm:   

Hi there Trudy, Charles Garner, my great great grandfather arrived in Australia in 1852. He came from America and he was African American. He travelled with another African American called James Evans. This could also explain why some of the photos in your book appear to be dark skinned people. Nice to hear from you.
TrudyElkin
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 - 12:37 am:   

Hi Laurel,
Yes, it's interesting isn't it - I have also heard that Charles Garner was possibly of African American descent, but unfortunately there does not seem to be any certification or written documentation to formally follow back his heritage, which is a shame. Were you able to find Maria teresa Cox birth cert, Gordon & our sons were sons were quite chuffed to discover they have direct links to the original inhabitants of this wonderful land in which we live, as were Colleen & her daughters. and as for Max you only need look at him to see it, he is a bit of a throwback in the genetics department.
Jessica Nash
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 2:38 pm:   

I stumbled across this post when looking for information regarding my three times great grandfather James Evans (the same as you mention above Laurel as I know some of his story).
Would love to chat with you if you see this post.
Laurel Crawford
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 3:56 pm:   

Hi there Jessica, just came upon your post. I would love to hear from you regarding your GGGgrandfather as I believe he travelled to Australia with my GGgrandfather and you may have info that I do not, as I have come up against a brick wall.My email address laurelpearce99@gmail.com
Kendall English
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 1:12 am:   

Hello Brad Turner,

William English is also my GGG Grandfather.... I think. My grandfather was George William English (married Shirley June Tuckwell).
Jasn Irns
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:34 pm:   

Hi all new here myself a descendant of Charles Garner an Maria Teresa Cox i belive charles garner parents where John an Phillis Garner from Indiana but thats about all i have here inregards to my documentation if anyone would like to chat directly inregards to Maria COX mothers side would be great to learn more about look forward to a reply
michelle maher
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 7:27 am:   

hi all long time since i have been on this page my partner and i have been travelling to hill end every fortnight its a lovely place . i have not been doing the family tree for a while every now and then i receive an email from someone who is searching what i have done i have loads of information and documents and i have been chasing the names hornby=maris=garner=cox i have information on the cox`s before they enterend australia as i have been communicating with 4x great grandsons from england mma65552@bigpond.net.au regards michelle
Renee Larcher
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:00 pm:   

Hi, just stumbled here after searching for James Evans, an ancestor for sure. Would be interested to hear from Jessica Nash to see if what we (my sister and I) have been told is what you have discovered in your research. As I understand it he was an African American who travelled here, escaping slavery, and created a new life for himself. There is a photo of him in the Hill End Museum, as well as a few more of our ancestors.
michelle maher
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 8:14 am:   

wow so these people searching James Evans might have some info on which boat Charles Garner come out on and where they (Charles & James) went to ? as it is a mystery with Charles
michelle maher
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 8:15 am:   

so sorry to hear of the passing of Betty Maris
my condolances to the family xx may she rest in peace xxx
Stephanie Crawshaw
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 10:35 pm:   

Hi kendall English, I also had GGG grandfather William English, Great Grandfather was William Gustave English, my grandmother was Lilias English born in Hill End in 1892 just before her immediate family moved to Leichhardt in Sydney. They built a house "Hopeona" which my sister still lives in. My email is sshaw44u@gmail.com if you would like to get in touch.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: