of "OAK PARK"
James Chilcott divided the 960 acres of land he had purchased from Captain Lethbridge into four farms of 240 acres each. The first portion he gave to his daughter Mary,who was Mrs John Noble of Noble's Crossing. The second portion he gave to his grand daughter Sophia Eliza,who was the only child of his deceased son James.She married in Melbourne in 1860 to Edward Drake of Devon,England.Edward was a descendant of the Drake family of Churchstanton and Teignmouth. The Drake's built a large slab house which they called "Oak Park" and grew crops of grain and reared cattle.Even in the severe droughts. Mrs Drake grew good crops of corn and pumpkin in the creek bed,water- ing them from a few remaining water holes.It is also told of how she walked several miles to see her relations at "Springwood" but became lost in the heavily timbered country on her return home.Her husband had not awakened and did not miss her until daylight.Alarmed,he set out at once to find her.He found her sitting patiently on a log. Realising she was lost she sat down where she was,deciding it was better to do so,than wander further into the forest.A special feature of "Oak Park" was it's large fire place made with a moveable back wall. Once a year it was opened and a dray backed into clean out all the accummulated charcoal,for a fresh start to the following year. Edward Drake also had a special knife for carving which was not allowed to be put into water,but each time used he alone wiped it clean with a dry cloth.No one else was allowed to use it. from "The Glennies Creek Story" by Lillian.M.Noble.p18,19