Memoirs of Daniel S. Drake
by Daniel S. Drake

Memoirs of Daniel S. Drake

"My father, Capt. William S. Drake, came to Marlboro, now Waldo Township,
Marion County, in the year 1807, and entered 160 acres of land at $2.50 per
acre, paying one-third down and the balance in one and two year payments. He
and his son, Uriah, cleared a small patch the first year, and put in a crop
of corn, pumpkins and potatoes. He then returned to New York for his family,
leaving Uriah to cultivate the crop. He returned in 1808, with a family
consisting of his wife and seven children. They traveled the entire distance
in an old rickety twohorse wagon. drawn by two poor plugs of horses. The
amount of cash left on their arrival was 25 cents!
"The Indians were very numerous at that time, and inclined to be hostile to
the white settlers. This hostility was fostered by British spies and
traders, until war was finally declared in 1812. Apprehending hostilities,
Gov. Meigs appointed William S. Drake Indian Agent for the following tribes:
Delawares, Wyandots, Pottawatomies and Senecas, then residing in the
northwest part of Ohio. He made his headquarters at what was

then known as `Negrotown,' now in Wyandot County. As soon as war was
declared, the Indians became very uneasy. They were uncertain about what to
do. The Canadians were using all their arts to induce them to join the
British, while Gov. Meigs desired to have them remain neutral or join the
forces of the United States. The Governor ordered Capt. Drake to remove the
Indians to a place called Zanesfield, in what is now Logan County. This
occurred in 1811. The Indians met him in council, concerning the matter, and
sat in deep consultation about forty hours without leaving their seats. They
finally agreed to go, and in two hours were on their way. They numbered
about six hundred. They remained at Zanesfield a few months, but becoming
dissatisfied, returned to Upper Sandusky. A chief by the name of Zarbe, or
Crane, seemed to have great influence among the Wyandots. He was regarded as
being friendly to the United States. After their return, the Governor
appointed two Commissioners Solomon Smith and Moses Bixby, of Delaware-to
meet the headchiefs at Upper Sandusky, to obtain a grant for a new road from
Lower Sandusky to the old Greenville boundary line, in the southern part of
Marion County. The chiefs granted the request, and the road was to be sixty
feet wide. The Governor then appointed :three Commissioners, Bell, Bair and
Van Clief, to run and open the road. The chain-carriers and blazers were
Capt. William S. Drake, Maj. John Bush and Jacob Foos, This road passed
through what is now Marion Village, and was known as the ` war road.' "
[Described elsewhere.]