From: Paul William Harding
Subject: The Trill
Date: Sunday, 5 January 2003 1:48 AM
Hi Roy, more information for your website
The TRILL of Axminster Church the south aile or Drake's aile or (
Trill aile has been termed the The TRILL.)
The Minister of Axminster Church, below year they were Institution and
In 1577 Richard Drake Esq.
In 1660 Sir John Drake knt and bart. The true Patron
In 1662 Sir John Drake of Trill bart.
In 1669 Sir William Drake of Ash, bart true Patron
In 1699 Sir William Drake of Ash. Bart.
The interior, which was divided from the base of the tower by an open
screen of carved oak, was occupied as a pew by the Drake family, and a vault
beneath it is their burial place.
The roof was similarly ornamented; one of the pillars was carved with the
arms of Poulett, and the screen with those of TRILL.
' This movement in Trill Ile is the movement of Sir John Drake knt & bart
& Jane his first wife ye dau'r of Sir John Yong of Culliton knt & bart by
whom he had 2 sones & 1 daughter viz, John, Walter & Elizabeth, His said wife
Jane died 31 July 1652.
Here were deposited Jane wife of Sir John Drake, 1652, Sir John Drake knt
& Bart 1669, Susanna wife of George Drake 1676, Dionysia second wife Sir John
Drake, 1679, George Drake 1682, Sir William Drake bart 1733
William Drake of this town, died 28 July 1775 aged 48, Mary his reliect
died 8 Nov 1808 aged 77,
Son William died Jamaica 18 Aug 1809, aged 58.
North Aile Floor
Thomas Fry, died 8 Apr 1754 aged 53, Mary, wife of William Drake and
widow of Thomas Fry
Died 6 Oct 1759 aged 40
Book published 1835 by James Davidson, and sold by E. Wills Axminster
printed by W.C. Pollard, North Street " The History of Axminster Church.
Thanks Paul William Harding DFHS 9756 , obtained book from Used book