From: Susan Drake
Date: Friday, September 10, 1999 11:12 PM
This is typed exactly as it is written in the Newspaper it came from.
Typo's and all.
Charles Drake d. 1903
The subject of this sketch was born April 28 1838 at Eythome, Kent county,
England and in the fall of 1855, when but a lad of seventeen crossed the
Atlantic to seek his fortune in this country. He located near Fairwater,
Wisconsin and first turned his attention to agricultural pursuits but
shortly after determining to learn a trade, became an apprentice in the
harness shop of a Mr. Paddock at Ripon, Wisconsin. Endowed with energy and
push he rapidly mastered the details of the business and accepted a
position with a prominent harness manufacturer at Waupon, where he remained
two years and then returned to Fairwater where he opened a shop of his own.
In the early sixties he came to this state and in company with Mr.
Beardsley engaged in the harness business at Rochester. Having heard a
favorable report of Rushford he drove down here in April of 1866 with a
view of locating. Though the railroad had not yet reached here and goods
had to be hauled by team from Winona and La Crosse he was favorably
impressed and decided to establish himself here. By careful attention to
business he succeeded in building up one of the largest harness
manufacturing establishments in the northwest. For a time he operated a
branch house at Lanesboro but finally concentrated his efforts on the home
enterprise. After moving into his handsome new brick block in 1896 he
associated with him his eldest son, W. F., and continued the business under
the firm name of C. Drake & Son. Thus he rounded out 37 years of active
business life in this city sharing with us all the duties and
responsibilities of a good citizen.
June 24, 1866, he was married to Jane Hargrave at Ripon, Wis. six children
were born to them, four sons and two daughters of whom three sons with his
widow survive. W. Frank and Ralph Drake of this city and Dr. Fred A. Drake
Deceased was raised to the sublime degree of a master mason by Mystic Star
Lodge No. 69, June 1, 1871 and remained an esteemed and honored brother up
to the time of his death, having filled in turn every office in the lodge
from Tyler to Senior Warden.
The funeral ceremonies took place Sunday under the auspices of Mystic Star
Lodge No. 69 assisted by brethern from Lanesboro, Houston, Money Creek and
Fremont lodges. And his mortal remains were committed to earth in Oak
Grove cemetary. Though dead his memory will be cherished in loving
rememberance by all who knew him. Peace to his ashes.
Members from the neighboring lodges who were present and took part in the
sad services are as follows:
Houston Mystic Circle, No. 78, P. A. Hanson, T. R. Parish, W. W.
Parish, H. Smith, Martin Omodt, Anton Olson, Wm. Vance, S. Hanson, J. E.
Parish, H. Harris and Chas. Whitehouse.
Clyde - Evergreen Lodge, No 46. R.H. Henry, Hans Selvig, D. A. Ferguson,
Thos. Ferguson, J.C. Henry, L.C Henry, J.E. Small and Fred Randell.
Money Creek - Orient Lodge, No. 84. Chas. Tiffany, D. W. Robinson, and
Lanesboro - Lebanon Lodge, No. 102. A. Enger, W. Running, L. A. King, R.
C. Sackett, W. V. Bean, H. Frakis, W. S. Henry and J. O. Blekre.
*Taken from the Rushford Star, May 14, 1903. Rushford, MN, Fillmore
*Two facts to note are the spelling of the town in England which is
actually Eyethorne and has also been misspelled Hawthorne. The other is
that W. F. Drake went by Frank, his given name was William.
Any inquiries about family history on this Drake can be sent to Susie at