James (Jim) Sutton 1878-1966

In 1904 Jim selected a holding and called it“Campbells Creek”,Yetman, as the creek passed through the property. He was the son of John and Alice Sutton,one of six of the sons,who settled in the area after completing the contract to build a telegraph line from the Hunter to Deepwater and from there, another line to Yetman. Jim and his wife had six children when they moved onto the property,and four more girls were added to the family whilst on the property. The home was built of timber and contained four rooms and the kitchen was detached from the main building and had a dirt floor. Much hard work was done by the family clearing land and besides grazing sheep,conducted a dairy.20 cows were milked twice a day and the cream was sold to the butter factory in Texas. Jim spent a great deal of time working away from the property to make ends meet. Dingoes were troublesome and Jim's wife Catherine,would load the shot gun and shoot them. The sheep had to be yarded each night to prevent attacks from dingoes and dogs.The children walked to ‘Kingston’ a subsidised school with about 8 or 9 children. The teacher was Phyllis King. Prior to the subsidised school being opened a travelling teacher,Mr Fenton,visited every six weeks, staying with different family each trip.The neighbouring children for miles around would gather for a week's ‘school'. Bullock teams carted logs out of the scrub on‘Kingston’and one of the children,Leslie was bitten by a snake and Alan, his brother,carried him home. Leslie was bitten three times over the years and survived. Catherine always insisted the children wear boots with laces and carry a knife in case of snake bite. The ‘spring’ in the front paddock of “Campbells Creek”was never dry and the copper and clothesline were set up there to do the washing. At one stage there were three homes on the property in which two of the boys, Malcom and Leslie, lived. Jim sold the property in 1950 after 46 years of occupancy. Jim passed away in 1966.